Sunday, December 27, 2009

RETURN OF MEDALS by Cdr Shaikh..USA

From: naseemakeel shaikh [mailto:naseemakeel@hotmail.com]
Sent: 26 December 2009 00:12
To: Chander Kamboj
Subject: RETURN OF MEDALS

My dear Kamboj,

I am not sure whether the campaign for return of medals drew inspiration from Rabindranath Tagore's renunciation of his knighthood.

In any case I am attaching an excerpt from a book which was one of the gifts Santa Claus brought to my grand-dauhter:


From the Biography titled GANDHI by AMY PASTAN Page 68:

Ref. Reactions to JallianwalaBagh:

THE GREAT POET TAGORE RENOUNCED HIS KNIGHTHOOD, STATING IN ALETTER OF PROTEST TO THE VICEROY ON MAY 31, 1919:

“The time has come when the badges of honour make our shame glaring in their incongrous context of humiliation, and for my part wish to stand shorn of all special distinctions, by the side of those of my countrymen who for their so-called insignificance, are liable to suffer degradation not fit for human beings.”

I have also sent a suggestion to Brig Chikkara that we could consider gathering gifts and donations for sweet packages for our jawans at the borders for Divali. Donations can be collected through schools NGOs businessesetc

HAPPYNEWYEAR

AKEEL
(Cdr Akeel Shaikh, 18 NDA/B Sqn, currently in USA)

No comments:

Post a Comment